Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Pruning Petunias

So I planted two petunia plants in old mailbox tins at the beginning of Summer and they have done SO well. They are the perfect Summer decoration flower. They require very little maintenance, although are not maintenance-free, and will provide you with months of gorgeous blooms if properly cared for.

I got one deep purple petunia plant and one mixed- love them both! But mine began to get leggy and not look as full after the first month so I looked up on youtube.com how to prune a petunia. Besides being a pleasant catch phrase- say 'prune a petunia' three times fast- the pruning worked! Where I used to only have blossoms at the end of my petunia stalks, they are now blooming with abundance and look full and lush again. Here's the video that I followed and below are the photos of my once again bushy plants. The basic pruning strategy is to a) deadhead; and b) pinch off the very top bud forming on the end of each petunia stalk. This will stimulate the plant to letting the buds lower on the stalk to form into flowers. Worked for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment